* Consumer Federation of America, 1424 16th St. N.W., Suite 604, Washington, DC 20036; (202) 387-6121.
* United Homeowners Association; 1511 K St., N.W.; Washington, DC 20005; (202) 408-8842.
* Consumers Union, 1535 Mission St., San Francisco, CA 94103 or call (415) 431-6747.
* Consumer Action Council, 116 New Montgomery St., Suite 233, San Francisco, CA 94105; (415) 777-9648
For overall housing statistics, U.S. Housing Markets regularly publishes quarterly reports on home building and home buying. Your local builders association probably gets this report. If not, the housing research firm is located in Canton, Mich.; call (800) 755-6269 for information; the firm also maintains an Internet site. Finally, check with the U.S. Bureau of the Census in Washington, D.C.; (301) 495-4700. The census bureau also maintains a site on the Internet. The Chicago Title company also has published a pamphlet, “Who’s Buying Homes in America.” Write Chicago Title and Trust Family of Title Insurers, 171 North Clark St., Chicago, IL 60601-3294.
* “Questions and Answers on Manufactured Home Loans for Veterans,” U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, DC 20420.
* Manufactured Housing Institute, 2101 Wilson Blvd., #610 Arlington, VA 22201; call (703) 558-0400.